In many creative industries it is not uncommon to wear a ‘Sleep Deprivation Badge of Honor’ to the office every morning and champion how hard you work despite barely getting any sleep. Let me put this simply…this needs to stop. NOW.
» Click here to download your FREE Bonus Guide ’10 Easy Ways to Start Sleeping Smarter’
There is nothing more detrimental to your energy levels, your productivity, your focus, and your creativity than sleep deprivation. And beyond how poor sleep affects your performance, the long term effects of sleep deprivation are downright terrifying. For example, did you know that if you get less than 6 hours of sleep your cognitive scores and reaction times are equivalent to being legally drunk? And that’s just the beginning (unfortunately it gets WAY worse).
In this episode I have an in-depth conversation about the science of sleep with Shawn Stevenson, author of ‘Sleep Smarter’ as well as the host of “The Model Health Show” which is routinely the #1 health & wellness podcast on iTunes. He’s been featured in Forbes, Fox News, ESPN, The Today Show, Men’s Health, and many other top publications. If you’re interested in taking sleep seriously, Shawn is the guy to help you reach the promise land.
Topics of Conversation:
- The detrimental effects the sleep deprivation has on your health
- Shawn’s history with degenerative disease and his path to healing
- Prioritizing good sleep above extreme workouts and diets
- The connection between sex and sleep
- The importance of sleep quality over duration
- The effects of working the night shift on your health (hint: It’s not good)
- How looking at a chromosome’s telomeres can tell you how sleep is affecting your lifespan
- Debunking the myths surrounding daylight’s effect on your sleep quality
- The importance of regular exposure to sunlight
- Knowing the balance of cortisol and melatonin in your body
- How exposure to technology affects your sleep quality
- Eliminating white and blue light from your evening routines for better sleep
- How alcohol affects your sleep cycle
Shawn Stevenson is a bestselling author and creator of The Model Health Show, featured as the #1 Nutrition and Fitness podcast on iTunes. A graduate of The University of Missouri – St. Louis with a background in biology and kinesiology, Shawn went on to be the founder of Advanced Integrative Health Alliance, a successful company that provides Wellness Services for both individuals and organizations worldwide. Shawn is also a dynamic keynote speaker who has spoken for TEDx, universities, and numerous organizations with outstanding reviews.