I’m often asked via social media, via email, and in my member coaching calls about proper posture at a seated or standing workstation. Where should my elbows go? What’s the best desk chair? Why do my shoulders hurt? Why is my lower back on fire all the time?
In this episode I have a conversation with Zeena Dhalla, a certified posture specialist, self-proclaimed posture geek, and the founder of the Verticalign program which you can find at verticalign.com. Zeena and I dive into all of these issues and more to help you understand the detriments of living all day long in the same bad position and what positions you can switch to instead, as well as the simple exercises that can be done to alleviate and eliminate years of chronic pains.
For further information as well as specific exercises and postural modifications you can be making today, click here for Zeena’s article “The Magic of Postural Modification (And How It Can Cure Your Back Pain Better Than a Doctor)”
Topics of Conversation:
- Zeena’s path to being a posture specialist
- How the collective evolution of our bodies has changed the applicability of older pilates programs
- The surprising ways that your posture affects how other view you
- Applying your creative spark to your active lifestyle
- How Zeena addresses the most common neck and back issues
- Learning to emphasize extension over flexion if you work a sedentary job
- Easing yourself into yoga or pilates by knowing your body’s strengths and weaknesses
- How your posture affects your hormones
- Tools you can use to help improve your posture and raise your awareness of your body
- Simple stretches you can do while you drive to alleviate pain from sitting
- The pros and cons of a yoga ball chair
- Zeena’s tips for maintaining healthy posture throughout your day
Zeena Dhalla is a Certified Posture Specialist and self-proclaimed posture GEEK. She helps people eliminate neck and back pain through simple and effective home based exercise routines. Download the 5 Minute Solution to Hunchback Posture (hyperlink to: https://verticalign.com/2016/05/16/5-minute-solution-hunchback-posture/) if you want to improve your posture and get out of bed every morning with less pain and more pizazz!