The standing desk revolution is upon us, but the number one complaint I hear from those who convert is that the transition is painful, and standing for long periods of time can get uncomfortable very quickly. After years of searching for a solution for myself, I have finally solved these problems thanks to the Topo Mat. This is the best anti-fatigue mat I’ve ever used. It’s literally like a playground for your feet!
In this episode I have an in-depth conversation with Kit Perkins and Ryan Feeley, the designers of the Topo mat and the CEO and CTO, respectively, of ErgoDriven. We talk about the inspiration for creating the Topo mat, why it isn’t just another anti-fatigue mat, and why it promotes more activity throughout the day and alleviates the pains associated with chronic standing.
Our show sponsor:
- On Kit and Ryan’s respective backgrounds as engineers
- Your body as a machine
- On their passion for changing the standing workstation
- Where did Topo come from?
- Why a standing workstation should promote movement but usually doesn’t, unless you know how to do it correctly
- The research phase and how the product was designed
- Standing can cause just as many health problems as sitting
- Movement is essential!
- The prototype phase and how the Topo mat came to be
- Testing Topo on the masses – flat mat vs. Topo – video: bit.ly/visotopo
- How the design of Topo keeps you moving and helps promote good posture
- The issues with standard anti-fatigue mats
- The half-sphere in the middle…what is it and what do you do with it?
- The texture of the mat and how they are working to make improvements to it
- How we started sitting so much and what that has done to our health
- You need a good sitting to standing transition plan. Start by modifying your current workstation
- How do I start using Topo? Stand on it and see what happens!
Kit Perkins | CEO
Kit is a mechanical engineer by degree, and a self-taught entrepreneur, growth hacker, and web developer. With a strong interest in human design and its implications to guide his thirst for knowledge and get-stuff-done mentality, Kit is determined to make the world a healthier, more productive place for everyone.
Ryan Feeley | CTO
Ryan has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from UC Berkeley. As a brilliant engineer and burgeoning scientist, Ryan leads product development and validation. On the weekends, you can find him sprinting barefoot and shirtless in his local parks, with myriad home-brew sensors quantifying his body.