Training for and successfully running a marathon is an accomplishment few will ever achieve. Running a marathon in under 4 hours? Fewer people still. But training for a marathon, running it in under 4 hours, and ALSO working as an assistant editor on the TV series Empire? That’s downright insanity!
Or is it?
In this episode I have a candid in-person conversation with Natalie Boschan, my assistant editor and partner in crime, about why she chose to take on this monumental task, and more importantly how it helped her grow stronger as a human being.
Our show sponsors:
Topics of Conversation:
- Why Natalie decided to run a marathon
- What it was like training for a marathon while working on Empire
- Running in the morning DOES NOT undo the effects of an unhealthy lifestyle
- How Natalie got injured training for her first marathon in 2013
- When Natalie decided she would no longer be defined by her work
- Natalie’s morning routine and why she decided she wanted to be, for the first time in her life, a morning person
- Taking back your schedule and taking ownership of your time
- How Natalie found reasons to wake up and train every day by clearly defining her why
- How taking back your time can be empowering
- How being less reactionary to your surroundings can help you generate energy and be a more pleasant person
- Natalie’s systems for getting more sh*t done faster!
- How to combat that “tired” feeling when you don’t think you should be tired
- How focused work can actually make work more fun!
- Natalie’s training program
- How tracking your time can really open your eyes to your own productivity
- The brain is not capable of multitasking!
- Switching tasks (read: going from Facebook to Gchat to Avid) is what makes you tired!
- Making small changes can lead to some extraordinary results over a long enough timeline
- Natalie’s marathon time and how she actually made it through the race
- Any goal is attainable!
Natalie Boschan has been working as a post production professional for eight years. She began her career working as a producer/editor creating content for Verizon’s V-cast (think: internet content before the iPhone). She continued her career in short form media by working as an editor on web and DVD featurettes, trailers and promotional videos for various major motion picture releases as well as independent films.
In 2013 Natalie decided to shift gears and venture into the land of scripted television. Currently, she is working on a new Netflix drama set to air in late December. Her past credits include: Empire seasons 1 & 2, Underground, Burn Notice and Once Upon a Time.