In today’s digital world of information overload, the most controversial topic that causes the greatest amount of conflict and confusion (politics aside, of course) is nutrition. Rarely do I post anything on social media or via my inner circle email newsletter about diet and nutrition that doesn’t elicit at least one hate-filled response.
Who knew something as simple as food could divide us so much?
Luckily when you strip away the noise you find wonderful people like Mira and Jayson Calton, the founders of Calton Nutrition and the authors of two of my favorite books on the topic of nutrition and food science, “Rich Food, Poor Food” and “The Micronutrient Miracle.” While I know these may not sound like edge-of-your-seat page turners, they actually are. In fact, I’ve only written one book review in my entire career, and it was for Rich Food, Poor Food because the book absolutely changed my life, especially how I approach what I eat, nutrition in general, and most importantly how to go food shopping the right way without losing your mind (or breaking the bank).
In this nearly two-hour marathon episode from my Fitness In Post archives I do a deep dive with the Caltons about many nutrition-related topics including why the food pyramid we’ve been following for decades is complete BS, why calories in vs calories out is practically a dead science at this point and has been completely debunked, the science behind why fat isn’t the enemy we’ve always thought it was, and how the food companies use incredibly deceptive marketing tactics to get us to buy certain foods.
If you’ve ever scratched your head while grocery shopping wondering what the difference is between “natural” or “organic” and you want a better, long-term strategy for eating better, this is the episode for you.
Want to Hear More Episodes Like This One?
Here’s What You’ll Learn:
- The toxicity in our current food supply and why were are micronutrient defficient
- The difference between macronutrients and micronutrients
- Why the Food Pyramid is a bad nutrition guide
- How much the science of nutrition has changed in the last 20 years
- How your diet cab actually deplete your micronutrients
- Improving the way we measure caloric intake when calories in vs. calories out doesn’t cut it
- The science behind high fat, low carb diets and how to do them properly
- Your comprehensive guide to healthy grocery shopping
- The dangers of food billboards and buzzword nutrition marketing
- Making sense of nutrition label information
- What it means when food is labeled “organic”
- Understanding how the toxins and pesticides in food end up in your system
- 3 foods you think are healthy that really aren’t
- The 4 major flaws in the multivitamin market
- The ABC’s of optimal supplementation
- Why Nutreínce is the holy grail of multivitamins
- How being micronutrient sufficient can literally reverse diseases like osteoporosis and macular degeneration
Useful Resources Mentioned:
Our Generous Sponsors:
This episode is made possible by Ergodriven, the makers of the Topo Mat, my #1 recommendation for anyone interested in moving more at their height-adjustable workstation. Listen, standing desks are only great if you’re standing well, otherwise you’re constantly fighting fatigue and chronic pain. Not like any other anti-fatigue mat, the Topo is scientifically proven to help you move more throughout the day which helps reduce discomfort and also increase your focus and productivity. And they’re really fun and a great conversation starter.
This episode is made possible by the HumanCharger, a revolutionary new light therapy device made specifically for people who spend long days in the dark and don’t get enough sunlight…i.e. You and me. Simply put in the earbuds for 12 minutes a day to receive your daily recommended dosage of UV-free white light. Doing so can drastically increase your energy, improve your mood, and increase mental alertness and focus.This device has literally changed my life and I use it every morning without fail. Use the code ‘OPTIMIZE’ to get 20% off your order.
The Caltons are among the world’s leading experts on the topics of weight management, lifestyle medicine and micronutrient deficiency. Their high success rate working with adults and children to achieve sustainable weight loss and reverse health and disease conditions has made their consultancy highly sought after by celebrities, athletes and top corporate executives around the world. It is their belief that becoming micronutrient sufficient is the first step towards preventing and reversing many of today’s most prevalent health conditions and diseases.
The original music in the opening and closing of the show is courtesy of Joe Trapanese (who is quite possibly one of the most talented composers on the face of the planet).
Note: I believe in 100% transparency, so please note that I receive a small commission if you purchase products from some of the links on this page (at no additional cost to you). Your support is what helps keep this program alive. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.