The standing desk revolution is upon us, but the number one complaint I hear from those who convert is that the transition is painful, and standing for long periods of time can get uncomfortable very quickly. After years of searching for a solution for myself, I have finally solved these problems thanks to the Topo Mat. This is the best anti-fatigue mat I’ve ever used. It’s literally like a playground for your feet!
In this bonus podcast episode I have re-released my in-depth conversation with Kit Perkins and Ryan Feeley, the designers of the Topo mat and the CEO and CTO, respectively, of ErgoDriven. We talk about the inspiration for creating the Topo mat, why it isn’t just another anti-fatigue mat, and how it promotes more activity throughout the day (and alleviates the pains associated with chronic standing).
Note: This interview was originally recorded right after I first tested my Topo Mat (and you’ll see very quickly that I didn’t even know how to properly pronounce it yet!).
Want to Hear More Episodes Like This One?
Here’s What You’ll Learn:
- Kit and Ryan’s respective backgrounds as engineers
- Your body as a machine
- On their passion for changing the standing workstation
- Where did Topo originally come from?
- Why a standing workstation should promote movement but usually doesn’t (unless you know how to do it correctly)
- The research phase and how the product was designed
- Standing can cause just as many health problems as sitting
- Movement is essential!
- The prototype phase and how the Topo mat came to be
- Testing Topo on the masses (video: Flat mat vs. Topo)
- How the design of Topo keeps you moving and helps promote good posture
- The issues with standard anti-fatigue mats
- The half-sphere in the middle…what the heck is it and what do you do with it?
- The texture of the mat and what they are improving in the future
- How we started sitting so much and what it is doing to our health
- You need a good sitting to standing transition plan (Here’s a great place to start)
- How do I start using Topo? Stand on it and see what happens next…you’ll be hooked!
Useful Resources Mentioned:
Kit Perkins | CEO
Kit is a mechanical engineer by degree, and a self-taught entrepreneur, growth hacker, and web developer. With a strong interest in human design and its implications to guide his thirst for knowledge and get-stuff-done mentality, Kit is determined to make the world a healthier, more productive place for everyone.
Ryan Feeley | CTO
Ryan has a PhD in Mechanical Engineering from UC Berkeley. As a brilliant engineer and burgeoning scientist, Ryan leads product development and validation. On the weekends, you can find him sprinting barefoot and shirtless in his local parks, with myriad home-brew sensors quantifying his body.
The original music in the opening and closing of the show is courtesy of Joe Trapanese (who is quite possibly one of the most talented composers on the face of the planet).
Note: I believe in 100% transparency, so please note that I receive a small commission if you purchase products from some of the links on this page (at no additional cost to you). Your support is what helps keep this program alive. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me.